Great Harbour Cay: A Lesson in Relaxation


 Top: Nordstrom Rack | Shorts: Blush Boutique (old) | Necklace: Zara, Aldo | Sandals c/o Ipanema (similar)

 
Bikini c/o Maya Swimwear | Necklace: Aldo | Sunglasses c/o Tory Burch | Jewelry: Flash Tattoos
  
  
Conch anything goes... conch burger, conch fritter, fried conch...
Fresh catch of the day: Hogfish (This should be Mara Hoffman's next print. Obsessed.)

5 o' clock: Trip to the endless sandbar to collect seashells

The "New" Beach Club. (Best conch fritters eva, $7 for 10.)

Tropical getaway must? Stellar eyewear. (Sunglasses c/o ASOS)

 Bikini c/o OndadeMar

Two words: summer. vacation. If you follow me on instagram chances are you already know where I got my deep golden tan last weekend. But the few snaps I was able to post on social media don't even do this getaway justice. Growing up around the boating industry, (my Dad owns Miami's best marine supply store - yes, I'm biased,) I've been to a lot of beaches all over Florida and beyond. Great Harbour Cay just made it to my list of Top 5 favorites.

This isn't Bimini or Nassau. Think no frills, no resorts, no shopping - just stretches of powdery white sand beaches, crystal clear water, and an abundance of sea life. Located just south of Coco Cay in the Bahamas, Great Harbour is more private community than bustling tourist destination. The petite island stretches less than 7 miles long and 1.6 miles wide. In its heyday of the 1960s, Great Harbour was a favorite of Hollywood stars like Clark Gable and Brigitte Bardot. Today you'll find it's a hot spot for avid boaters and well-to-do South Florida families looking to disconnect. While guest accommodations on the secluded enclave are sparse, (there are really no hotels save a recently built bed and breakfast,) many homeowners offer their properties as vacation rentals throughout the year.

I stayed with friends who invited Eric and I to tag along for a weekend of fishing, snorkeling, and relaxing (and jumping 25+ feet off a cliff into "the blue hole" - eek!) A chance to live in nothing but a bikini and flip flops for four days straight is not an invitation I would decline. This one came at the perfect time, as I've been feeling frazzled and needed to recharge my batteries. The ocean has a magical way of clearing all of your worries away. It was great to shut off my phone, dig my toes in the sand, and just let my mind drift along with the sea breeze. My long weekend getaway was extended thanks to Tropical Storm Bertha, but a little extra wind didn't dampen our spirits.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kelly Saks - Miami's Fashion Girl | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig