What to Pack for a Tropical Getaway

Packing tips for a tropical getaway with Samsonite luggage

If you’re like me, you’re already in need of extra motivation to keep your new year’s fitness goals on track; and by “extra motivation” I obviously mean a weekend at the beach! There’s nothing like the thought of donning a swimsuit to remind you to put down the french fries and stop snoozing your gym alarm, right?

In planning my upcoming trip to visit my family in Puerto Rico, I headed to Marshalls to update my resort wardrobe and pick up some travel essentials. First, and most importantly, on my list was a new suitcase! After logging nearly 40-thousand travel miles to more than six countries last year, my previous carry-on bag was retired when I popped the zipper on the way home from North Carolina.

Pink suitcase and Out of Office Luggage Tag

Criteria #1 for a replacement: a sturdy zipper. (Spinner wheels are also non-negotiable. Try running through a terminal with an old school rolling bag… not fun.) In the sea of suitcases at my local Marshalls, I decided on this blush hued Samsonite luggage priced under $80! The “Out of Office” luggage tag was naturally a must.

When it comes to packing, the thought of stuffing my life into a carry-on suitcase used to send me into a sheer panic, but after so much recent travel, I can safely say I’ve got packing down to an art. The key? Planning and organization. I’ve been known to schedule my outfits along with my itinerary. (I highly recommend doing this!)

 

Since an island getaway basically revolves around eating, swimming, and a whole lot of relaxation, that means packing should be a breeze…no pun intended. For me, it’s important to pack classic pieces that can transition easily from beach to bar. Back at Marshalls, I found a chic red and white crochet cover-up ($24.99) and the cutest Catherine Malandrino pom-pom sandals ($20) that are the perfect pair for lounging and lunch on the beach.

Here’s what I pack for three days in San Juan…

• 2 Cover-ups
• 3 Bikinis
• 2 Maxi Dresses
• Denim Shorts
• 2 Cotton Tops
• Sandals
• Espadrille Wedges
• Straw Hat
• Beach Tote Bag
• Crossbody Bag
• Sunglasses
• Small Scarf

Packing tips for a beach vacation

Toiletries can be the trickiest to pack for a weekend trip, especially as a beauty junkie. Rather than try and squeeze my full-size products into tiny travel bottles, I like to buy travel sized versions of my must-haves. One product I never leave home without is sunscreen. Aside from how important it is to protect your skin daily from harmful UV rays, I’ve found that touristic destinations often inflate the price of sunscreens and lotions. Your best bet is to bring your own. **Remember, when flying domestically, TSA limits your liquid containers to 3.4 ounces or less.

No matter where your travels take you this year, if you pack strategically… you’ll still have space left in your luggage for souvenirs! May the skies be friendly and the adventures plentiful. Bon voyage!

Fashion Blogger Kelly Saks wears beach chic attire Fashion Blogger Kelly Saks wears beach chic attire

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kelly Saks - Miami's Fashion Girl | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig